Author: Jocelyn Delk Adams of Grandbaby-Cakes.com
Recipe type: Sweet
The best real Southern caramel cake on the web! If you want authentic Southern Caramel Cake, you must make this recipe.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 6 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
For Aunt Bev's Caramel Icing:
- 1½ sticks butter
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar on high until fully incorporated and light and fluffy, about 5-6 minutes.
- Turn mixer to medium speed and mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until well incorporated.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt into a medium sized bowl.
- With mixer on slow speed, alternate adding in flour mixture and sour cream ending with flour mixture until mixed through.
- Do not over mix.
- Spray three 9 inch round cake pans with baking spray or grease and flour them.
- Pour batter into individual cake pans evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23-30 minutes or until fully baked (but DON'T OVERBAKE THESE CAKES- CHECK THEM EARILER SO THEY DON'T DRY OUT).
- Remove cake pans from oven and cool on cooling racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and wait until completely cooled to ice.
For the Caramel Icing:
- Add butter, evaporated milk, and sugar to saucepan over medium heat until everything has melted together.
- Leave over medium to low heat stirring periodically for about 1½- 2 hours (watch the entire time to make sure it does not burn until thickened and caramel has darkened to a beautiful golden brown.
- Make sure that the caramel turns the color of the photo below before stopping the heat.
- It should also coat the back of a spoon to ensure thickness.
- Be careful to watch, adjusting heat temperature to not let it burn.
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract.
- Cool for about 15-20 minutes before icing the cake.
Recipe by Grandbaby Cakes at http://www.grandbaby-cakes.com/2012/12/caramel-cake/